My Family

My Family

Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Preventable Accident that was All My Fault

Bed 6 Clip Art

Yesterday morning the girls and I were getting ready to run some errands. The girls were dressed, but I had a few more last minute things to do to get myself ready. In the living room, the girls got a little rough with Parker on the floor and she started to fuss so I picked her up to move her to my bedroom. I put her on the bed between a pillow and a pile of clean laundry. Lou quickly jumped on the bed to be near her little sister and Parker got excited. I knew as I laid her down on the bed that I should put her on the floor (I call those God moments), but I chose to ignore the warning inside my gut because I was in a hurry. Stupid.

I walked into our bathroom and was about 6 feet from our bed. Within seconds, Parker rolled over the pillow and off the side of the bed. Thankfully, I kept my eye on her the whole time so I was able to react quickly. I dove for the floor as she fell from the top of our bed, probably a 3 foot drop. I caught her just as she was about to hit the carpet floor so she had a soft landing. She cried briefly because of the scare. I cried too. What an idiot. Who does something that stupid. This is my third kid and I knew better even with my first kid. What was I thinking?!

I humbly share this story to let you know that if you've ever done something like this then please know that you are not alone. Even the mom's with the best intentions make mistakes. Most of you know what kind of a parent I am, and this was a huge mistake. It will never happen again, and I hope that my mistake will keep you from doing the same thing in the future. In the end, I'm more hurt over this incident than she was. I regret that Parker could have been seriously injured, but I'm extremely thankful that I was able to react as quickly as I did.

I don't listen to Country music anymore, but these lyrics came to mind as I was writing this story. These words are from the song Angels Among Us by Alabama:

"Oh I believe there are angels among us.
Sent down to us from somewhere up above.
They come to you and me in our darkest hours.
To show us how to live, to teach us how to give.
To guide us with the light of love."

Thank you, Lord, for having Angels in our room yesterday and everyday. You knew that we would need them.

This is another confirmation as to why I pray daily for the healthy and safety of my family. I'm truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment