My Family

My Family

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Making A Splash!

In June, I took Bailey to her 4 year check up and her doctor asked if she was taking swim lessons. My reply was no. I hadn't even thought about it. Mom fail. I had a newborn, we had just moved into a new house, we were trying to sell our old house, and I was working full time for the summer. Who had time for swim lessons? We did. Because when something is important, you make time for it. Swim lessons were very important to us considering my parents have a pool and the girls are at their house 3 days a week. I just hadn't slowed down long enough to consider taking lessons this summer.

Back at work that afternoon, I remembered that one of my coworkers wives taught swim lessons for over 35 years so I sent her an email to see if she would like to come out of retirement. She said YES! What a blessing! She offered to teach my girls and some of their friends so we got 5 families together and started swim lessons. Miss Colette was AMAZING with the kids! She dealt with tears, resistance, sleepy toddlers, and our crazy summer weather with great ease! She was a Godsend.

The lessons were held at my parents house, which made things much easier on the 5 families involved. Not only did we have 7 kids taking lessons, but we also had 5 newborn siblings around. So, if every family member came and the swim instructor, that's 23 extra people at my parents house twice a week. THANK YOU to my mom and dad for letting us crash at your house so often! It was nice to be able to take the newborns inside on the really hot days.

Speaking of the heat, this was one crazy summer. We had to reschedule afternoon lessons for temps over 115, and then 4 days later because it was in the 60's in the morning. Thankfully, Miss Colette and the families involved were flexible so we were able to change our schedules around as needed.

Here are some pics of the lessons:

Bailey blowing bubbles


 Cade learning to float on his back


Bailey, Charlotte, and Elyse learning to kick and blow bubbles

Cade and Cole kicking super fast

Bailey jumping off the side of the pool

Lou learning to float all by herself

Owen also learning to float by himself

Owen jumping off the diving board

Lou jumping off the diving board (the big kids did this as well)

Charlotte, Bailey, Cole (hiding in the back), Miss Colette, Elyse & Cade showing off their medals. They got one for putting their whole face in the water and one for jumping off the diving board. Way to go!

Owen, Miss Colette, and Lou with their medals for jumping off the diving board. This was very impressive coming from our two year olds!


Here are some outtakes of the lessons:

Lou singing into the water hose and Elyse cheering her on

Owen and Lou eating snacks ... as usual

The Peanut Gallery

We can't wait until next summer!



No comments:

Post a Comment