My Family

My Family

Sunday, January 27, 2013

What Makes A Runner?


If we're friends on Facebook then you know that I run. I would even guess that you think that I enjoy running because I post about it. Would you like to know a little secret about me? I hate to run. Hate it. I play soccer; therefore, I'm a sprinter. In games, we have to run quick sprints to get to the ball, but we don't run long distance. I hate running long distance. Hate is a strong word, but I'm using it so that you'll know exactly what I'm trying to say.

In October 2012, I decided to make a change in my health. Besides weight lifting and Boot Camp, I knew that running needed to be one of my exercises to help me reach my goals. So, I started running. I hated it. I ran by myself at night after the kids had gone to bed. I ran hard. I ran out of breath quickly. My feet hurt. I told myself with each step how hard running was and that I should quit. But I didn't quit.

Over the past 3 1/2 months, I've learned how to run. I've gone from hating to run to disliking to run. Hey, it's a step. I would say that I might even be on the verge of saying that I "like" to run. Whoa. Me. Like to run? Who am I?!

I've learned that running isn't easy, but it's doable. Anyone can run. Even you. You know who you are:
  • The person sitting on the couch complaining about how hard it is to run.
  • The person who says my knees hurt when I run.
  • The person who says that they'll start tomorrow.
  • I was that person.
I also learned that running is 100% what the above picture says. Every run for me is a battle against the voice in my head that's telling me to quit. That voice tells me to start walking at the next street sign, it tells me that my knees are starting to feel weak, it talks over the Christian music I'm listening to and tries to convince me that I need to walk.

I decided a few weeks ago to stop listening to that voice. Mainly because I started running with a buddy and we talk along the way so that voice didn't have time to speak up. Then, last Thursday, my running buddy and I could not run together. I was a little discouraged because that meant that I would be running with someone else. Me and the voice. You know what happened that night? I started out intending to run 2 miles. The voice talked over my Christian music and told me to run 1 mile. I heard the voice, but I chose to sing (quietly) the music that I was listening to. I felt empowered. I ran. I ran 3.1 miles. I ran a 5k. Whoa!

I broke through a personal wall that night. I broke through self doubt. I broke through my fear of running long distance. I won the battle inside my head. I know that I will never look at running the same again, and if you need encouragement to start your running journey, then I'm here for you. I will be the encouraging voice inside your head that believes in you, so just ask me.

Isaiah 40:29 - "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak."




No comments:

Post a Comment