My Family

My Family

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

BRCA: Fill Check-Up & Final Surgery Pre-Op


Last Friday (Oct 3rd), was my four week (post final fill) check-up and the Pre-Op for my next surgery. Everything looked good and only a few adjustments need to be made in the final surgery to complete this year long process. I was told at my last fill that if all looked good at my 4 week check-up then I could have my final surgery anytime up to two weeks after this appointment. Well, that would be great except that my doctors' schedule is booked up until early November. It's a little discouraging knowing that I have to wait another 6 weeks before my final surgery, but I fully trust that God has a plan so I just need to be patient. Romans 12:2 - Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 

Here's the game plan for November:
  • The final surgery is to exchange the expanders for the implants.
  • I have some tight tissue toward the bottom middle of both breasts that needs to be "released" to make the implants settle better so my doctor will take care of that in surgery. 
  • The expanders take about 3 minutes to remove, and the remainder of the surgery is countless adjustments to make things even. 
  • Surgery is outpatient.
  • Healing is 4-6 weeks of light activity.
  • I was told to expect drains on both sides after surgery, but I won't need them for two weeks like last time. I do NOT like the drains!
  • The pain level after the next surgery should be minimal compared to what I've already been through. Praise the Lord!

I often get asked how I'm feeling and I always reply with "I'm good!" Honestly, I am good considering my journey this year. My chest is still sore at night and when I first get out of bed, but it's fine during the day. Once or twice a week I feel tightness in my chest, but most days I don't feel anything significant. I still don't like wearing a bra because my expanders are filled to the max and nothing is comfortable, but I know that it could be worse so I'm not complaining (very often). I can't say enough about the all natural *Arbonne Sleep Spray that has helped me get a more restful sleep since my discomfort makes me toss and turn all night.

The evening before my appointment, I felt the need to run so I laced up my shoes and ran two miles. I had not run since before my hysterectomy in April so my time was super slow, but I did it and it felt good. My chest area was sore the next morning so I'll keep the running to a minimum, but going out now and then will be good for me. Don't worry, my doctor approved running (of course, I didn't ask until after I ran because it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission, right?!). I would love to play soccer, but the fear of getting hit in the chest (and the fact that my husband won't let me play) is keeping me off the field. I'm glad that he's looking out for my best interest because I tend to push the limits in an effort to return to normal. 



*Click Here to read more about the Arbonne Sleep Spray, and please let me know if you would like to try it. It's great for nightly use, those that travel, or anyone that just has trouble falling asleep. I highly recommend it!




No comments:

Post a Comment