My Family

My Family

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Show Me the Money




We want our girls to have a good, balanced relationship with money so we believe that those lessons start with us. A few nights ago the girls helped me empty their piggy banks into zip lock bags. Each bag was labeled with the girls name, and each girl was allowed to pull out a $20 bill to spend at Target. They were pumped!


Money Lesson - Stop #1: Target. The girls were in heaven getting to pick out (almost) anything they wanted that could be paid for with their own $20 bill! Before getting out of the car, I explained to them that if they spent all of their money around the $1/$3 bins by the front door, then they wouldn't have anything left to spend in the toy/swim section. I had to remind them of this a few times as they were putting things in their baskets, but they were catching on pretty quickly. Our oldest (7) was actually counting her total as she was putting things in her basket, our middle (5) was asking prices on everything, and our youngest (3) wasn't putting much of anything in her basket. She was holding out for the toy/swim aisle. 

All three of the girls did great! This wasn't a lesson in taxes so I let them pick out stuff as close to $20 as they could get and then I covered the rest. Their totals were $20.58, $21.25, and $21.35. I was so proud of them!


Money Lesson - Stop #2: Credit Union. After Target we headed to the bank for suckers ... I mean, to deposit their money into their savings accounts. At first they thought we were giving their money to the bank so I had to explain that we opened savings accounts for each of them when they were born and that they'll have access to these when they get older. They enjoyed watching the coin counter machine, watching themselves on the security monitor, and the suckers. I'm pretty sure that the whole money being deposited into an account was lost on them, but they still had a good time!


Afterwards, we celebrated by playing with some of their new swim toys in Pops & Weasey's pool. Good times!



No comments:

Post a Comment