My Family

My Family

Friday, January 1, 2016

2016: What's Your Focus?



It's January 1st. Like I said in my last post, there's something magical about the start of a new year. It's brings Hope. It brings Opportunity. It brings Evaluation. It brings Change.

The picture above is our Blessing Jar. We started this tradition three years ago, and each new year we get to look through our "blessings" from the year before. What started as a small mason jar that first year, has grown into a large, beautiful vase. Why did I think a mason jar was big enough to hold our family blessings that first year? I needed to dream bigger (receive bigger) and allow room for growth, for abundance, for more blessings. I want Malachi 3:10 blessings over here: "...and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of Heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it." Can I get an Amen!!!

The beginning of the year also brings about another tradition that we started a few years ago. We choose One word to focus on for the year. In 2014 it was Peace, and in 2015 it was Freedom. Both of those words rang true for us in those years. Toward the end of each year, I spend time in prayer seeking out that One perfect word for us. Well, this year, it was Two words. I'm either breaking tradition or "expanding my mason jar" because I couldn't shake these two words: Family & Opportunity. Here are the verses that I've found to stand on in 2016.

Family:
*Acts 10:2 - He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly.

Opportunity:
*Acts 27:13 - When a gentle south wind began to blow, they saw their opportunity; so they weighed anchor and sailed along the shore
*Galatians 6:10 - Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people
*Ephesians 5:16 & Colossians 4:5 - make the most of every opportunity

I love how the verses that I came across not only focus on Family and Opportunity, but on helping others. My heart is to serve and I pray that I can serve well this year in whatever direction I'm called. After all, these beautiful faces, my Family, are counting on me and they deserve the best Opportunities this world has to offer...


I leave you with another one of my favorite quotes ... 





No comments:

Post a Comment