My Family

My Family

Friday, January 6, 2017

Molding a Warrior



Today, we woke up to a snow day. An unexpected blessing. The girls have only been back at school for two days (since Christmas break), but this 1/2 inch of snow froze up the neighborhood streets and called off school, so we lit a fire and slowed our pace. Nowhere to be. I thought about this day earlier in the week, but it wasn't until a Facebook memory popped up that I realized today was THE day. 

Three years ago, today, I was driving to work when my Dr called. The actual Dr, not a nurse. She asked if it was a good time to talk. I knew what she was going to tell me. My BRCA testing came back Positive and I had an 87% chance of getting breast cancer and a 55% chance of getting ovarian cancer. Both cancers run in our family so fast forward 11 months, and I was healing from a crazy year of cancer prevention surgeries (hysterectomy, double mastectomy, and reconstruction). I believe that year saved my life, but it all started with a phone call. That call changed everything. Every. Thing. That call and every moment after molded me into who I am today. The journey wasn't easy, but its purpose has been made known repeatedly since that day. I've met countless women who received the same call as me. I've shared my story, hard parts and all, and we've bonded. Every journey is different, but a sympathetic ear can mend a worried heart. If you've been through a hard time, I encourage you to share you journey. Others need to hear it. We were made to encourage, support, and love one another ... especially in the valley. Ecclesiastes 4:12 says, "Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A chord of three strands is not easily broken."




This morning, in the quiet before the girls woke up and before I realized what day it was, I picked up this book. I've been reading it daily and I HIGHLY recommend it. Seriously, it's a life changing, life breathing book. As I read about the difference in a soldier (paid to do a job) and a warrior (called to do a job), these three passages stuck out:
  • "Any soldier can see what the enemy is doing and then report his movements. No discernment is needed to see what is obvious. On the other hand, warriors are leaders who also perceive what God is doing in the realm of the unseen. A solider may say, 'Look, we are surrounded by chaos and problems.' A warrior knows God is in control, and his army is already poised for a counterattack." Pg 90.
  • "What do you know? The enemy panics when two warriors take action! There is something about decisive moves forward that paralyzes the enemy. He is always routed when his attempts to intimidate are thwarted." Pg 97.
  • "Don't allow the surrounding pressure to depress or oppress you. Don't allow the enemy to cause you to imagine it is an invitation to a beating. The pressure from all sides is part of a divine plan to mold and fashion you into something with substance and depth. You will come out of this womb of tempering drawing a breath of strength." Pg 98.
Friends, whether you find yourself in the midst of battle, or you find yourself three years out and looking back with a clear vision of the journey, know that it's worth it. The good days. The bad days. The encouragement. The discouragement. When you are called to be a warrior, the strength will come. The tears will come. The support will come. And you will rise ... like a warrior.









No comments:

Post a Comment