My Family

My Family

Saturday, March 3, 2012

One Tough Week with Old Faithful


Saturday, a week ago, Parker started projectile vomiting after at least one meal a day and sometimes two meals. Around the 1 month mark, we knew that spitting up could start so we weren't too concerned. Bailey had acid reflux and some projectile vomiting so we kind of knew what to expect; however, we did start to get concerned once Tuesday rolled around and the projectile vomiting was still going on. By projectile, I mean, it could spray about a foot out and soak everything in it's path. I would have to change my clothes and Parker's clothes, along with wiping down anything else that got in the way of this explosive fountain. The worst part was that I never knew when it was coming so I wasn't able to prepare for it. Who am I kidding. There is no way to prepare for that kind of output!

I called her doctor on Tuesday and spoke to one of the nurses. She gave me some tips to try to eliminate other possible problems. I tried the tips that day and night, but they didn't help so I called back on Wednesday and made an appointment for that morning. After speaking to Parker's doctor about my concerns, he decided to have her GI tested to make sure that she wasn't having any internal problems that could be more than just acid reflux. He chose to do this test because she had only gained 1 lb since leaving the hospital 25 days prior, and because of the consistency of her projectile vomit. Her test was set up for Thursday morning at 7:00am at the hospital.

Wednesday evening I was a little anxious. My parents took the big girls for the night so I had nothing to do except to focus on the test Parker would have to go through the following morning. All we knew was that she couldn't eat after 4am (you try telling a newborn when she can and can't eat), we had to check in at 7am, and the test would consist of putting a camera down her throat to take pics as she swallowed barium.

Here is what I pictured as a possible worst scenario:
  • Parker and I get no sleep because the vomiting is irritating her insides.
  • She screams sometime between 4am-7am because she's hungry.
  • I cry through the whole camera swallowing procedure. 
  • The outcome of the test means she has to go through a surgery to correct the problem.
  • Mind you, I usually have a level head, but when I don't get much sleep, sometimes the "bad" sneaks into my thoughts.

Here is what actually happened:
  • We got a great nights sleep, or at least as good as it could have been considering we have a newborn.
  • I woke Parker at 3:30am for her "last meal" to try to hold off her hunger through the 7am test.
  • I got three encouraging text from friends at 7am. Those texts meant more to me than they'll ever know. Thank you, again!
  • Parker was calm during the whole morning and the procedure.
  • An old friend from high school was our nurse (what are the odds of that). She explained everything and made us feel a million times better.
  • The entire test was done by xray - NO camera swallowing. Huge relief! I didn't cry.
  • We got to watch everything on the monitor and we knew right away that her little body was perfect. The result is that she just has a bad case of acid reflux.
  • We got medicine for her reflux, and she will grow out of this in the next month or so.
Thank you again to our friends and family that prayed for us that evening and for the test the following day. We felt your prayers and God's presence throughout every moment from the peaceful night's sleep to the final test results. What a blessing it is for us to put our faith and hope in the Almighty Healer.

We have given her the medicine 4 times now and it seems to be helping. She still spits up a little, but that is to be expected at this age. So, for now, Old Faithful has settled down ... hopefully for good!

No comments:

Post a Comment