My Family

My Family

Saturday, April 28, 2012

It's All About Me

I did something this afternoon that was very out of the ordinary. It was SELF indulgent, SELF centered, and SELFish ... and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I got a massage. I usually reserve this type of activity for when I'm on vacation, but I have been feeling a little stressed lately so it seemed like a good time to take advantage of a gift certificate that was given to me months ago.

Me stressed? Just a little bit. It always takes me a while to realize that I'm stressed. Probably because I spend so much of my time taking care of others (as most moms do) that I forget to focus on myself. It finally hit me last week when I took some time to think about my life at the moment: three young kids, back at work part time, full time mom, just had a baby, buying a new home, moving in less than one month, packing, needing to sell our current home, keeping the house clean everyday in case someone wants to see it, exhausted ... just to name a few.

So, today was my day ... well at least an hour of it was. My gift certificate was to Spa Lux at 91st and Memorial. I had never been there, but I promised myself that I will return. The staff was professional and the atmosphere was very relaxing. Once I got signed in, I was led down a dimly lit hallway and given a robe, and then I was shown to a dressing room. In the dressing room, you choose a locker to put your belongings in, and then you change into your robe and slippers. If you would like, they have a complimentary sauna and steam room that you can enjoy before or after your massage. I passed, but they did look nice. After I changed, I went out to the women's lounge where you sit on very nice furniture in a dimly lit room with a chandelier, waterfall, and calming music. Lets face it, I could have fallen asleep right there and no one had even laid a hand on me.

After about 5 minutes, my masseuse came to get me and led me to a private room. I chose the one hour Swedish (aka regular) massage and it was great. Had I paid for it, the cost would have been $75 so they are a little pricey, but well worth the money, especially if you take advantage of all of the extras that they provide (like the sauna and steam room).

When the hour was up, the girl started mumbling something to me. On second thought, she spoke very clearly, but it took me a few seconds to come out of my haze to hear that she was saying "your massage is over. Make sure you drink plenty of water in the next 24 hours." The real me told her thank you and that the massage was great, but the voice in my head was screaming "NO, NO. Just 5 more minutes. Just 5 more minutes of awesome massage. Just 5 more minutes of peaceful, calming music. Just 5 more minutes of no responsibility and no one saying mommy." Alas, it was over, but I shall return. After all, I made a promise to myself that I would go back and I don't break my promises.



If you are reading this and you're a man, then I would suggest that you get your wife/girlfriend a gift certificate to Spa Lux. Even if this means that you have to watch the kids for a few hours on a Saturday. I guarantee you that the woman who returns home will be very grateful!

If you are reading this and you're a women - STOP your busy life - and go get a massage. Make time for it and enjoy every moment of it. Or, feel free to print this blog and leave it laying around so that your husband/boyfriend will read this and possibly get you a gift certificate. :)

Woman receiving back massage with closed eyes



No comments:

Post a Comment