My Family

My Family

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Very Tempting

1 Timothy 6:9 - "Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction."


This week I was tempted. Not only was I tempted by money, but specifically in the form of the picture above. For those that know me, I'm a big couponer and I LOVE CVS! I get my best deals at CVS so when I was given the above gift card (free money and to a store that I love), I was faced with a big decision ... take it or leave it ...

After church on Sunday, we headed to CVS for some milk and other items. Greg dropped Lou and I off at the store, and he and the other girls went across the street to fill up my car with gas and to pick up lunch.

Lou and I got our items and went to check out. I handed the cashier my normal coupons along with a $4 check from Enfamil (for baby formula). The cashier was suppose to run the check in the amount of $4, but instead she ran it for the full transaction amount which messed up everything. I was very patient as she rescanned every item to "return" them so that we could start the transaction over. I could tell that she was getting frustrated with herself and the ever growing line behind me. She called for backup and then scanned my items for a third time so that I could "officially" check out. As I was about to leave, she handed me a gift card and told me to take it. I asked if she was sure, and she said yes. I didn't know what was on the gift card, but I assumed it may have been the $4 that I was suppose to get for the Enfamil check so I put it in my purse and left since Greg and the girls were back and waiting on us to get home and eat lunch.

After we ate and laid the girls down for a nap, I looked over my receipt and I noticed that the gift card had a balance of $72.66 (that could buy 3 tubs of formula or 10 packages of diapers or ...). I didn't understand. Upon further investigating, I realized that when the cashier "returned" my items, she put the balance (before coupons) on the gift card and gave it to me. Mind you, I never paid for these items the first time. Woohoo! Jackpot! I now had a gift card for $72.66 to my favorite store!

My excitement lasted .001 seconds. I knew the gift card had to go back. So, today, after I dropped off Bailey and Lou at preschool, Parker and I headed back to CVS. I asked for a manager when we got in the store. Thankfully, the manager I spoke to had worked on Sunday and she knew exactly what I was talking about. She said it was a huge fiasco and the cashier had been written up over it. I felt bad for the cashier, and the manager seemed very pleased that I came back to return the gift card. Sure, a small part of me wanted her to tell me to keep it, but she didn't ... darn it. I handed her the card and left to go home. I felt really good about what I had done and I know that God will reward me ten fold for doing the right thing.

Matthew 25:23 - His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things.’

No comments:

Post a Comment