My Family

My Family

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

It Has A Nice RING To It

I usually start all of my blogs with a picture because I'm a visual person, and I like to have a picture to go with my stories. This post won't have a picture, and you will know why at the end.

Greg and I celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary last May. As year 10 got closer, we talked about getting me a new wedding ring. Well, it was more me talking and Greg listening. This year has been a crazy one. Parker was born in February, we bought a new house in May, we've had lots of medical bills because of 3 hospital stays and 3 urgent care visits, we owned two houses for two months, etc. Those events (called life) put the idea of getting a new wedding ring on the back burner.

However, after selling our old house last month, we decided to set aside some money for a new ring. I was still hesitant to get the ring, but Greg made me do it. Yes, he made me. I'll be honest, I didn't argue with him, but I could think of a million and one things to put that money toward besides a ring. After telling my parents that we decided to look for a new ring, my mom offered to give us some diamonds that had belonged to her mom, my late grandma. Of course, we accepted. Who doesn't like heirloom diamonds! So, with those diamonds we had a ring custom made. If you ever have the opportunity to have a piece of jewelry made, it's a pretty neat process.

Our jeweler called on Monday, about a month from when we sat down to do the original drawing to tell me that the ring would be ready early next week. I was a little irritated because he had originally said that it was going to be ready the week before, and I was already having a bad day. Ugh ... more waiting. What I didn't know was that he and Greg had been texting back and forth for a couple of weeks about the ring. He called Greg that same Monday that he called me and he told Greg that it was ready. Greg told him that I was having a bad day and that he should call to tell me there was a delay and that the ring would be ready the following week. Turds!

Greg then told me that he was going to work late, but instead he went to pick up the ring. So, when we both got home from work on Monday he surprised me with it. The ring is beautiful! And, knowing that my grandma's diamonds are in the ring makes it even more meaningful. I have to admit, I'm having a hard time believing that I deserve something so beautiful. I'm used to putting others before myself and always focusing on the girls, that I don't take a lot of time to do things for me. Especially not in the jewelry department. I do love, love, love it though!

Because I'm not one to be flashy, I will not post a picture of the ring on here. So, the next time you see me, check it out. It's amazing!


Thank you to my mom for offering the diamonds and to Greg for "making" me do something special just for me. You are the best husband that I could ever ask for. I love you both MORE!

No comments:

Post a Comment