My Family

My Family

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Led By the Spirit

I've debated writing this post for a couple of weeks. It's a delicate subject and I don't want this to be taken as a "look what I did" moment, but rather as a way to share with you what happens when God speaks to me. I believe that God has many ways of to speaking to us here on earth. Some of those ways are more subtle than others. Sometimes we choose to hear Him and sometimes we don't. Sometimes we just miss the moment all together. Sometimes we get the message loud and clear.

A few weekends ago, we went on our annual vacation to Eureka Springs, AR. Our first evening there, we ate dinner at Pizza Hut. We don't know what it is about this Pizza Hut, but we eat there almost every time we visit ... and yet we never eat at the Pizza Hut right down the street from our house. Go figure. Anyway, we were finishing our dinner when I knew that God was beginning to speak to me. Really?! At Pizza Hut?! On our vacation?! I've been blessed to hear from God in the past, but it usually involved praying for someone at church or, let me just be honest, something non-monetary. So as I sit there minding my own business, I'm clearly getting the message that we need to pay for someones dinner in the restaurant. How do I know it was God, you might ask? Because in my past experience, the feeling I get is pretty overwhelming. I get anxious, my heart starts to beat faster, I feel a sense of urgency ... and the excuses start flowing in my mind. I'm just being honest. Sometimes God asks us to do things outside of our comfort zone; therefore, it's easier to come up with an excuse rather than an action.

I didn't even need to look around the restaurant, I knew exactly who's dinner we needed to pay for. While we were waiting on our food, the big girls were coloring, and I was feeding Parker, a family of 9 came in to eat. There were 7 kids and two parents. They looked like a simple farm family. The boys wore overalls and the girls wore homemade dresses. I was intrigued by them, but I didn't think any more about them until I got the feeling. They were the one's we needed to bless. Why, I don't know, but God knew and that's all that mattered.

I looked at Greg and asked him if he thought we needed to pay for anyones dinner in the restaurant. He jokingly said "that family of 100?" I said "yes." He agreed. We've learned not to question each other when it comes to certain things. We are not wealthy by any means so we both know that if it has to do with money then it had to come from God. After all, He will provide. And He did. We were given some extra spending money the day before we left town so we put some of that money toward our dinner and the other family's dinner.

As far as I know, they don't know who paid for their meal. I just asked the manager to tell them "to have a blessed weekend." Come to think of it, we had a pretty blessed weekend ourselves. It's funny how that seems to work out. God is good and for that we are faithful.

I hope this message will help you take the time to listen when God is speaking to you.


Isaiah 1:19 - "If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the good things of the land"

No comments:

Post a Comment