My Family

My Family

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Paying It Forward



Today, I was reminded of just how awesome God is. I shared this story with a friend and she nudged me to write this out for others to read.

A few weeks ago, the above friend entered a contest on the Elliot Roofing Facebook page then she begged over and over asked all of her friends to go "like" Elliot Roofing and then "like" her funny Christmas photo. If her photo won (which it did) then Elliot Roofing would donate $500 to Samaritan's Purse to build a fresh water well to supply water to family's in need. I'll be honest, I don't "like" a lot of business pages on Facebook because I don't want my News Feed filled with business info. That being said, I still Liked their page and voted for my friends photo because the contest/donation was for a good cause, and of course I wanted her to win because she's just as competitive as I am.

Let me backtrack to about a week before the above mentioned contest started ... Each year we pick an angel off of the Angel Tree at church so this year was no different. We've had quite a few financial stresses this year with three hospital stays (one being Parker's birth), a surgery, and another surgery coming up next week, but we are still blessed so we know that it's our job to pay it forward. The angel that we chose was a 6 year old girl and her list of needs/wants was LONG. I had every intention of shopping for her on a budget, but when I realized the price of her requested items, I knew that we would blow our budget; however, I felt that it was important to get her what she was asking for and a few surprises. It breaks my hearts to think that some kids won't receive anything for Christmas so this is the least that we could do. As I shopped for her items, I kept a running total in my head until I passed my budget of $50. At checkout, I realized that I had spent $100 on our angel. I didn't regret one penny that I spent. I don't tell you that amount to brag, but to finish my original story...

The Elliot Roofing Christmas photo contest ended yesterday and they also reached a goal of 1,000 Likes. The company posted that they would give something away once they reached 1,000. I was shocked when I looked at Facebook today and saw that my name was chosen (out of just over 1,000 likes) to receive a $100 American Express gift card! I had tears in my eyes as I read and reread my name and the gift card amount.

Are you with me?! $100 gift card! We spent $100 on our angel! God is so good and He will always repay you for your faithfulness. It may not come in a financial way, but it will come.

 ____________________________________________________________________
About a month ago, our Pastor mentioned the following verse in his sermon and ever since that day, it has been posted inside our pantry door as a daily reminder of God's promises if we simply trust in Him.

Malachi 3:10 - "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it."

I challenge you today or this week, to step out of your comfort zone and to be a blessing to someone and then see how that kindness comes back to you. I promise that you will not regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment