My Family

My Family

Monday, January 14, 2013

The New Me - Month Three


Three months ago, on Oct 13th, I decided to make a change. You can read about my month one progress here, and my month two progress here.

I can't believe that it's been three months already. I came across the above saying in week one and I've never forgotten it. After two people telling me that I looked good last week, I fully believe that it does take 12 weeks for "the rest of the world to notice." And, what a good feeling it was (and extremely motivating) for others to recognize my hard work.

On January 1st, my Boot Camp instructor challenged us to come up with three SMART goals for 2013, and a plan of attack to reach those goals. That stands for Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely. I thought about this for a few days and here are the goals that I came up with:
  1. To lose the last of my baby weight and get down to what I weighed before getting pregnant with my first child (I had three kids in 3 1/2 years).
  2. To run (key word is RUN) the 15K in the Tulsa Run with my husband this Fall.
  3. To get back the 6 pack abs that I had pre baby.
  • Do I think that reaching these goals will be easy? No, but I'm willing to put in the work to make sure that I do reach all three of them.
  • Do I believe that I can reach these goals? Yes, because I'm stronger than I think I am. And if no one has ever told you - You are stronger than you think you are also. You can do anything that you set your mind to.
Workout Routine / Accountability: For month three, I committed to weights on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I ran on Tuesday and Thursday. I either ran or lifted weights on Sat, whichever I choose to do on that particular day. I played soccer on Sunday's. Half way through the month, my best friend and I challenged each other to do a minimum of 25 push ups and 50 crunches each night. It's great to have someone to hold you accountable to reach your goals ... remember my #3 goal up there?! I NEED to be doing some crunches! We will also start running together on these cold winter nights. Brrr!

Month two was a little rough for me considering I got the stomach bug and couldn't eat for 4 days, and this month held its challenges as well. I had sinus surgery and could not work out at all during the third week of this month, or run/play soccer for weeks 3 and 4. However, I did not let those events knock me off track. I rested when necessary and then got right back into my routine when I was able to do so.

Day 63: Lifted weights

Day 64: Walked with my family for 3 hours at the Christmas Train with my 10 month old strapped to my front in a baby carrier. Talk about a leg and back workout!

Day 65: Soccer

Day 66: Weights

Day 68: Boot Camp. Ran 1 mile

Day 70: Boot Camp

Day 72: Walked 4 hours while Christmas shopping. Sometimes real life "workouts" can be just as hard as anything else. :)

Day 73: Boot Camp

Day 75: Took my Boot Camp Fitness Test final at home. I improved in every area that I had taken the test in at the beginning of the month. I plan to retake this test once I'm fully healed from my sinus surgery and can finally breathe! Here are my results:
  • Beginning
    • 1 mile run: 9 min 41 seconds
    • Held the plank position: 1 min 2 seconds
    • Held wall sit: 1 min 4 seconds
    • Push ups in 1 minute: 33
    • Burpee's in 1 minute: 21
  • Ending
    • 1 mile run: 8 min 53 seconds (Personal Best!)
    • Held plank position: 1 min 17 seconds
    • Held wall sit: 1 min 27 seconds
    • Push ups in 1 minute: 41
    • Burpee's in 1 minute: 24
Day 77: Sinus Surgery

Day 80: Last day of 2012. One of our Boot Camp challenges for December was to not drink any sugary drinks. I thought that this would be easy considering that I don't drink pop or sweet tea, but three days into the month I REALLY wanted a Pumpkin Spice Latte from QT. I'm happy to say that I went the whole month with zero sugary drinks!

Day 81: Still resting from surgery. My best friend and I agreed to the push up/crunches challenge mentioned above. She started tonight. I'll start when I'm healed.

Day 83: One week follow up with sinus doctor. I got the ok to start Boot Camp next week - one week earlier than expected! I still can't run or play soccer for another week.

Day 84: Push ups 30, Crunches 60

Day 86: Boot Camp. I survived, but it was tough after having surgery and not exercising at all for a week.

Day 87: Push ups 35, Crunches 60

Day 88: Boot Camp. Walked 1.5 miles. Push ups: 30, Crunches 100

Day 90: Boot Camp

Day 91: A group of the Boot Camp girls were meeting this morning to run, but since I still haven't been running, I decided to do 50 burpee's instead. I've never done more than 20 something at a time so I knew that this would push me out of my comfort zone. I ended up doing 55! My 4 year old even did the first 10 with me. What a great motivator she is!

Day 92: Soccer. Three Month Down!


Month Three Results:
  • I'm down 14 pounds from when I started!
  • I've lost a total of 5 3/4" in three months with 4 1/4 of those inches being in my problem areas (aka hips and waist).
  • In month four I've committed to attend Boot Camp on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I will also run on Tuesday, Thursday, and more than likely Saturday. I play soccer on Sunday.
  • I'm excited to continue this journey ... this lifestyle change ... this new way of life.
  • I hesitate to show you these pictures because they are not my final result, but I do want you to see how far I've come in three months by eating right and exercising. These results do NOT happen overnight, no matter what gimmick the media is trying to sell you. Gulp. Here we go:

Day One (Oct 13, 2012):

Day 92 (Jan 13, 2013):


Day One (Oct 13, 2012):
Day 92 (Jan 13, 2013):


I'm very happy that I took these pictures and my measurements because it's easy to do all the work and then convince yourself that nothing has changed when you're standing in front of the mirror. It's nice to visually see the change. These pictures also help me to locate the areas that I still need to work on.

Like I said before, I've given myself 6 months to be get back in the shape that I want to be in so I'll update you again at the end of month four.


1 Corinthians 9:24 - "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize."


No comments:

Post a Comment