My Family

My Family

Friday, March 8, 2013

Parenting 101: Lost & Found


As most of you know, I'm a mom of three beautiful girls ages 4 1/2, 3, and 1. These girls have kept me on my toes since the day they were born. I would not trade them for all of the money in the world ... maybe a little rest ... I'm kidding. These girls have changed the way that I view others, the way that I view the world around me, and my outlook on life in general. They have molded me into a better person, someone that I could have never become without them in my life.

Over the last 4 1/2 years, I realized that a part of me has been lost. I also realized that a part of me has been found. These lost and found chapters of my life make me the person that I am today.

Here is a (very incomplete) list of things that I have LOST after becoming a parent:

  1. My sanity
  2. My patience
  3. Plenty of sleep
  4. A clean house
  5. An organized house
  6. A crumb free floor
  7. The freedom to do whatever I want whenever I want
  8. Eating at a leisurely speed
  9. Enjoying a meaningful conversation with my husband before the kids go to bed
  10. Quiet
  11. Watching what I want to watch on TV
  12. Alone time with my husband
  13. Drying my hair before it air dries because I'm too busy getting little ones ready for the day
  14. Doing just about anything outside of the house after 8pm
  15. Listening to my music when the girls are in the car
  16. Getting anywhere on time
  17. A clean floorboard in my car
  18. Clean windows
  19. Focus
  20. Going to the bathroom alone
  21. Relaxing on the couch
  22. Being spontaneous

Here is a (very incomplete) parallel list of things that I have FOUND after becoming a parent:

  1. Better judgement on what really matters in life
  2. A new, deeper kind of patience
  3. Middle of the night meetings with some special ladies
  4. A messy house filled with toys that are lovingly played with and books that are eagerly read
  5. A house with a messy kind of organization ... I can find a lost shoe in no time flat
  6. Crumbs remind me that my family is fed
  7. I truly enjoy doing whatever my kids enjoy doing
  8. I will only shovel down my meal while hand feeding my last baby for a short time longer then it will be over
  9. It's OK to keep your kids from interrupting a conversation between you and your spouse
  10. A quiet house makes me suspicious
  11. I enjoy watching Disney shows/movies, and sharing my old favorites with my kids
  12. Watching my husband interact and love on his daughters makes me love him more
  13. I will live if my hair is not properly dried
  14. Nothing happens outside of my house after 8pm that's more important than tucking my kids safely in bed
  15. Listening to my kids sing bible story songs is music to my ears ... even if they sing the wrong words
  16. The fact that the five of us make it out of the house without forgetting something is a miracle. We will still arrive, whether it's on time or not
  17. Toys on the floorboard of the car are a great distraction while traveling
  18. Tongue licks and kisses on the windows can be easily wiped off
  19. I can multitask like no other
  20. If the kids are in the bathroom with me then I at least know that they're not getting into trouble
  21. Playing tag leads to lots of giggles
  22. Planning events around my kids naps is best for them and me
  23. Sloppy wet kisses are awesome
  24. It takes endless energy to keep up with my kids
  25. Love that passes all understanding
  26. Three new best friends for life
  27. I'm blessed beyond measure
  28. I am becoming my mom ... and that's a good thing
Yup, parenting is absolutely worth every moment of insanity, impatience, and overwhelming love.




Psalm 37:26 - "...their children will be a blessing"

No comments:

Post a Comment