My Family

My Family

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Tulsa Run - My First 15K Race!

 
 
Today was race day! I trained. I ran 50 miles in preparation for this 9.3 mile race. I was ready. As it was getting closer to race day, I started having doubts. Could I really run 9 miles? Would my IT bands hurt? Would I run out of steam before the end of the race? So many doubts, so little faith. Enough. I assured myself that I could run 9 miles. I prayed over my IT bands. I prayed for a healthy body and full lungs. No doubts now. I was ready!
 
However, there was still one question that I didn't have an answer to. All week, I struggled with the decision to run the race by myself or to run it with my husband and a friend. For once in my life, and only because my husband hadn't trained for this run, I figured I could outrun him. I had a time in my head that I wanted to beat, but I also wanted to run alongside my best friend (because we have 3 kids, we never get to run together). It wasn't until Friday (the day before the race) that I saw a picture on Facebook that said, "I would rather cross the finish line with a friend and have a great adventure than cross the finish line alone and have a personal best race." I had my answer.
 
Here we are at the starting line. Me (no that's not a duck face, it's just a bad picture), the Hubs, and Jared. Greg and Jared have run this race together 3-4 times so I was thankful that they let me crash their man-date.
 

The race started and I had a few minutes to gather my thoughts because I was running just ahead of the guys. I took this time to think about my Inspiration List. A friend of mine shared with me that she gives each mile to a certain person that inspires her. It's her time to be thankful for that person and to pray for them. I started off my list with God. I took a moment to thank Him for my legs, for the ability to run, and for the strength to run the race. I also recited my favorite verse, Isaiah 40:31 - "Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not be faint." Mile two went to my husband. Mile three went to Bailey, our 5 year old. Mile four went to Lou, our 3 1/2 year old. Mile five went to Parker, our 1 1/2 year old. The other miles had specific names on them, and those people know who they are. I was blessed to take time at every new mile to be thankful for each of these names, and to pray for them.

Did I mention that this race was 9.3 miles? That's a lot of running with people we didn't know. So, what better way to encourage my fellow runners than with the occasional high five. Yup, I did it! I high fived lots of people during the run. I also yelled encouraging words even if it embarrassed my husband. That's just who I am. I specifically recall one high five where the guy held onto my hand for a few extra seconds as if to say thank you. I could tell he needed the encouragement and I feel like God put me next to him at that very moment for a reason. In return, I was encouraged.

We saw lots of costumes during the race, so Greg took this opportunity to take my picture with Death. The guy offered to stop so we could take the photo, but we chose the running shot instead. Believe it or not, Death was actually a nice guy.

 
Thanks to the amazing people who put this race together the last mile was all uphill. Wonderful. There's nothing like finishing a 9 mile race uphill. Are you catching my sarcasm?! In the end, we survived. I ran the entire race without my IT bands hurting (even though I had trouble with them in training). I crossed the finish line with my husband, my best friend, my rock. I couldn't have asked for a better finish than to have my name right next to his. (We are just above the dark gray line).
 
 
No, it wasn't a record time. It wasn't even close to the time my husband ran it in a few years ago. But, it was an adventure and we enjoyed our "date." Next year ... we have a time to beat!
 

As I was putting our 5 year old to bed tonight, I had the chance to explain to her what "inspiration" means and I told her that she was mile three. Her face lit up. I had tears in my eyes. That made every step of the run worth it!

Our next race is the Route 66 Half Marathon in less than a month. We got this!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment