My Family

My Family

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Commitment

 
Our current sermon series at church is about being Committed to Christ. We are learning multiple steps that we can take to draw closer to Him. Last Sunday we talked about Witnessing. I'm an extrovert. I'm outspoken. I like talking to strangers. I'm the person on the running trail high-fiving and encouraging the other runners that we pass along the way. So, sharing my life, even my walk with Christ, is not difficult for me. However, not everyone is like me. Witnessing can be a very hard thing for people to take part in. That being said, I wanted to take a moment to let you in on a little secret ... praying for others is a form of witnessing. Yup, even you non-talkers can be a witness to your friends and family. Simply telling someone that you will pray for them may be the only witness they hear all day. You don't have to pray for them in person, you can take the request home and pray in silence. Did you catch that? You can be completely silent, but you can still move mountains. You can still witness.

I'm beyond blessed to go to a church that has a powerful prayer team. We have a room in our church specifically dedicated to prayer. Our preacher extends an invitation every Sunday to come down and pray at the alter. We have a church prayer chain. These folks (myself included) are praying for people we know, and people we don't know. We pray for small things and we pray for big things. We stand in the gap. We are witnessing.

Sunday evening, my husband played one of our favorite songs for our girls. It's been awhile since I really listened to the words so I stopped what I was doing and I sang along. The words were an exact fit to the sermon we heard that morning. The song is "More Than You'll Ever Know" by Watermark.

"Something brought you to my mind today
I thought about the funny ways you make me laugh
And yet I feel like it's okay to cry with you
Something 'bout just being with you
When I leave I feel like I've been with God
And that's the way it ought to be...


CHORUS:
'Cause you've been more than a friend to me
You fight off my enemies
'Cause you've spoken the Truth over my life
And you'll never know what it means to me
Just to know you've been on your knees for me
Oh, you have blessed my life
More than you'll ever know


You had faith, when I had none
You prayed God would bring me a brand new song
When I didn't think I could find the strength to sing
And all the while I'm hoping that I'll
Do the kind of praying for you that you've done for me
And that's the way it ought to be...


Chorus

You have carried me
You have taken upon a burden that wasn't your own
And may the blessing return to you
A hundredfold"


 
Like I said before, I'm blessed to have a church family that prays for me. But, I'm also blessed with a husband, family, and close friends that pray for/with me as well. Everytime a prayer is said on my behalf, I'm being witnessed to. I'm seeing God's love in human form. I pray that you have the  courage to be this kind of witness to those around you. It doesn't take geat courage, it just takes the willingness to allow God to use you.  


Romans 12:12 - "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer."


No comments:

Post a Comment