My Family

My Family

Saturday, April 12, 2014

BRCA: Curve Ball



My husband and I first heard this word from the Plastic Surgeon, and neither of us knew what it meant. When I looked it up, I didn't even know how to spell it. This journey has been very educational. Prophylactic is not a word that I ever thought would be in my vocabulary, but now I can properly use it in a sentence. You, my friend, have now been educated on this word so feel free to use it in a sentence today to impress your friends. I challenge you!

My first prophylactic surgery (full hysterectomy) was scheduled for Monday, April 14th. I went for my hospital pre-op on Friday, April 4th. At that visit, I was able to share my BRCA gene results with the Physicians Assistant of Anesthesiologist. She shared with me that her grandma, mom, and other family members had breast cancer. After talking with her for about 15 minutes on some details of my journey, she decided to get tested for the gene as well and she's going to encourage her two sisters to get tested too. What a blessing! It's conversations like that one that make this journey worthwhile!

My OB pre-op visit was last Tuesday. At this visit, I found out that my doctor is off on the day of my surgery so we had to reschedule to Monday, April 21st. Minor detail! The scheduler and my doctor apologized numerous times, and I assured them that it was God's timing, not theirs. Besides, we have a lot of fun events next week, along with Easter next weekend, that I now get to enjoy!

So, that's where we stand. My full hysterectomy will be on Monday, April 21st. My surgery will be robotic so it's the least invasive of the hysterectomy surgery options. I will have five incisions and two of those will be a blind entry so I ask that you pray for an overall successful surgery, no side affects to the surgery or medicine, an easy transition into menopause (be jealous), and for protection over all of my other organs that they not be punctured during this procedure (particularly my bladder, colon, and a tube that leads to one of my kidneys). Amen!

Matthew 18:19-20 - "Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them."





No comments:

Post a Comment