My Family

My Family

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

BRCA: Drain FREE!


I got my last 2 drains out yesterday and what a glorious day it was! While my sweet friend (who drove me to both visits and treated me to Rocket Brothers afterwards) and I were walking to the car I told her that I was so happy that I could do a cartwheel ... better yet, a back hand spring. However, I lacked two very necessary things to pull off a back hand spring: 1) the energy 2) the skill. But, nonetheless, I was doing back hand springs all the way to the car in my mind! The drains were out! I made it through the hardest part!

Yesterday took encouragement, not courage, encouragement. I never let the fear of the drain removal take over, but having gone through the painful process the week before I couldn't lean on the "ignorance is bliss" mentality. I remembered it well, and it hurt like ... the dickens. I knew the pain was coming so I had to pump myself up for the visit. By pump myself up, I mean listen to words of encouragement from my friends and load up on pain meds and Valium. Here are just a few of the sweet messages I received yesterday, along with many, many prayers. 










So, now what...
  • I can finally take a shower once the drain holes have scabbed over - I'm aiming for Friday morning. That's exactly 18 days from my last shower. I already warned my husband that I will be in there until the water turns cold. 
    • For those wondering, I have taken makeshift baths and washed up everyday so I wasn't totally gross. I've also had sweet friends / family washing my hair at the kitchen sink. And, I've learned that rubbing alcohol soaked pads on my armpits really helps with the stink of not showering. Too bad it took me a few weeks to figure that one out. 
      • If that brought up another question for you, my scars were to close to my armpits to wear deodorant. 
  • My next check up is in early August.
    • Until that time, I'm still on restricted arm movement and lifting. Basically, minimal activity except a few light arm exercises to keep things from tightening up.
      • To much arm movement can start to form fluid and since my drains are gone, that fluid will have nowhere to go so it will pool near the bottom of my expanders and I'll have to go in to have it drained. No thank you!
  • No swimming until my next check-up.
  • At this point, I would normally be advised to wear a tight fitting sports bra until my next visit to keep the fluid from building up, but I still have this nipple issue to deal with. Thankfully, it's doing really well (so thank you to anyone that took the time to pray for my 'dying' nipple). Because it's doing so well, and will definitely survive, the Dr doesn't want me wearing the sports bra because it will restrict the blood flow that is necessary to continue the healing process. Goodness, so many things to consider.
  • I can start sleeping on my side in a few days. I will need to use extra pillows for support and it will probably hurt on one side when I wake up so switching sides throughout the night will be best. So, just like when I have a sinus infection and I have to switch sides to give one nostril a chance to breathe? Got it.
  • I can start driving 48 hours after I've taken my last pain medication; however, I'm still restricted on movement so driving should be minimal until my next appointment. 
  • At my next visit in August the Dr will evaluate my progress and see if we can start filling the expanders at that point. 




No comments:

Post a Comment