My Family

My Family

Saturday, August 23, 2014

BRCA: Growing Boobies (Part 2)



I had my second expander fill yesterday. I wasn't looking forward to it because I was pretty sore for 4-5 days after the last fill. The actual fill doesn't hurt (you do feel the stretching), but the muscle soreness after is what got me. Last time, I had two spots, one on each side, that felt like such a deep muscle pain that it made me feel nauseated. It wouldn't last long, but I felt it all throughout the day for those 4-5 days until my muscles had stretched and adjusted to the fill. Yesterday's fill was about the same. I felt ok throughout the day, but the soreness set in overnight and I woke in pain. I plan to take it easy today and hope that the soreness subsides soon. Ibuprofen is my friend.

I'm blessed to have amazing friends (besides Ibuprofen). Yesterday, Dawn picked me up and she had a Rocket Brothers Tea waiting in the car. My favorite! We dropped off our youngest girls at my parents house for a swim, and she drove me to the doctor. This was our trade off for me driving her to her doctors appointment on Wednesday. We never would have guessed that when we met over 20 years ago that we would be driving each other to cancer related doctors appointments at age 34. Thankfully, God knew how much we would need each other and we've been blessed with each others love and support for all of life events. It's kind of like a marriage, for better or for worse. In sickness and in health.

Once in the exam room, Dawn had me read the Jesus Calling devotional for that day because it was such a great fit. 
  • "Trust Me, and don't be afraid. I want you to view trials as exercises designed to develop your trust-muscles. You live in the midst of fierce spiritual battles, and fear is one of Satan's favorite weapons. When you start to feel afraid, affirm your trust in Me. Speak out loud, if circumstances permit. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Refresh yourself in My holy Presence. Speak or sing praises to Me, and My Face will shine radiantly upon you."
After reading that she took my hands to pray. After saying a few words, my doctor walked in the room. Without missing a beat, I asked him to join us and I took his hand. I have no idea if he's a Christian, but he joined in. What started as a private prayer between the two of us was shared with my doctor and a nurse. God is good!


At my last appointment, I was given 100cc's of saline in each expander, and I received 100cc's at this appointment too. Since things are a little distorted after the fill, I will go back to see my doctor in two weeks (once things settle a little) to decide if I'll stay at this size or need one more fill. If I do need one more fill, it should only be about 10-15% bigger to make room for the implant trade out. 

I still have to work on my scars. He said that they need to be softer to be able to do my final surgery (in 6-8 weeks) because he will have to cut along the same lines to do the expander/implant trade out. So, I will keep rubbing lotion on them multiple times a day to keep the scar tissue from building up.

My range of motion wasn't even discussed, which is awesome because I've done so well with my exercises that it's not a big issue anymore. I still have work to do, but I'm fairly certain that my full range of motion won't return until these hard expanders are removed. 

On a less serious note: I joke that I have Clown Boobs. You know, like looking in the distorted Fun House mirror?! It's just not quite right so it's hard to envision what the final product will look like. But, like my doctor said, from my viewpoint (looking down), they're high and round and not at all in the right place. So, I have to trust that everything will look great in the end.




Proverbs 3:5-6 - "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understand; but it all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight."



No comments:

Post a Comment