My Family

My Family

Saturday, February 23, 2013

What Do You Fear?



"Fear only exists in the mind. Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to our natural desire to avoid discomfort. It is ONLY a response to an IMAGINED outcome. Many people get used to letting fear lead them through life. They avoid anything they do not want to face, they cower away from conflict. But then fear becomes something else. Fear becomes walls that block us in and block alternatives. Fear gets us stuck on one path. Then we stop recognizing fear and it becomes a reason as to why we can't. 'I can't, it's to hard.' Fear gives an indication that you are venturing into the realm of the unfamiliar. It gives you an indication that you are on the edge of your ASSUMED limits. You need to bust through these so called 'limits.' Remember that everyone feels fear. The only difference is how it affects you and the way you handle it. Let fear push you forward instead of holding you back." - Dare To Be Different

When I started Boot Camp in October, I was nervous ... dare I say afraid, fearful? Boot Camp. Those can be two pretty scary words. However, once I joined the class, I realized that I am capable of doing far more than I ever imagined. And, I enjoy it!

Guess what else? I also enjoy running. I used to fear running. I hated it. I could come up with every excuse in the book not to run. Then the boot camp girls started getting together to run. Really?! Don't they know that I hate running? No, but you know what they did know? They knew I could do it. They were right. So far this year, I'm signed up to run a Marathon Relay in Fayetteville in April, the Warrior Dash 5k in May, the Tulsa Run 15K in October, and the Rt 66 Half Marathon in November. Yes, I said half marathon! The thought of it still makes me a little nervous, but I no longer fear the 13.1 miles that I will run because I will be prepared when the time comes. I know what I'm capable of and that leaves no room for fear.

I've also taken this new found freedom to other areas of my life. Until this past week, I feared our school loans. The thought of trying to pay them off beyond the normal monthly payment seemed out of reach. Pointless even. But, two recent conversations with friends made me remember that I'm in control, not the school loans. My husband and I have now come up with a plan of action to get those loans paid off. We know that this won't happen in a few months, it won't even happen in a few years, but it will happen because we're not afraid of that debt anymore. We can do this!

I'm not writing this to convince you to join Boot Camp or to start running. I'm writing this blog to share some milestones that I've overcome in the past 4 months. I'm stronger physically and mentally than I used to be. Don't get me wrong, there will still be events in my life that I may fear, but now I will notice that fear and take control. I hope that you can apply this message to some part of your life. Is there something that is holding you back? Do you have an addiction that you need to overcome? Whatever it may be, I hope that you can look fear in the face and let it know that you're not afraid and that you're in control. I believe in you!


1 John 4:18 - "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love."

No comments:

Post a Comment