My Family

My Family

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Kindergarten 101 - Letting Go

Whoever says Kindergarten is easy, is not telling the truth. It's hard, emotional, scary ... but that's just how I feel. Bailey is fine. She loves her new school, her teacher, her class, everything. Me, on the other hand, I'm riding the emotional roller coaster of setting my firstborn free. It's hard. This is one of those moments when you know that there should be a detailed manual telling you exactly what to expect, but you get nothing. This is real life. It's amazing. And, sometimes it's amazingly hard.

In preparation for the school year, we prayed through the summer for blessings over Bailey's new school and her teacher. We were excited to find out that my mom (a retired teacher) already knew Bailey's principle and she also taught with Bailey's teacher. Huge prayers answered. We knew our little girl was in good hands.

Day One (last Thursday): Greg and I both took off work to be able to take Bailey to school and pick her up. She was so excited to get to class that morning so we couldn't let her see how anxious we were as parents. She put her bag in her cubby, picked a seat, and began coloring. We said our goodbye's and we left. Whew, we made it. We got in the car with Lou and Parker and headed to a restaurant to eat breakfast. Ok, we cried all the way to the restaurant, but we didn't crack in front of her and that was our unspoken goal.

Day Two (last Friday): Bailey informed me on the way to school that I could just drop her off at the front. Without crushing her brave independence, I informed her that her sisters and I would be walking her in that day. Um, hello, she's 5 and this is only day two. While waiting for the school to open, I told her to lead me to her room once we got inside so that I would know that she knew where to go. As the doors were being opened, the principle said that on Monday they would go back to the regular rules of going to the gym and then they would be released to class at a certain time. So, we switched gears and I asked Bailey to lead me to the gym and then to her class. Along the way, I pointed out all of the Safety Patrol kids and told her that she could ask them questions anytime if she wasn't sure where to go. She proudly walked into class and took a seat next to three other girls (she's on the top right). Lou, Parker, and I walked back to the car, and I cried on the drive to my parents to drop off the girls so I could go on to work.



Sunday night: Bailey talked big all weekend about school and about how she was going to walk in by herself on Monday, but while I was laying in bed with her that night, her voiced cracked when she told me that she was a little scared and she wanted to know if I could walk her in on Monday. Of course I could. I told her that I would still give her the option to be dropped off or walked in the next morning.

Day Three (Monday): Bailey decided to be dropped off until we got in the drop off line when I could see the uncertainty on her sweet little face. I anticipated this happening so I offered to get out of line and walk her in. She was so relieved. Once we got in the doors, we were told that Kindergartners could go straight to class until Thursday (not the gym - ugh - this switching around is stressing me out). However, the parents were to say goodbye at the start of the hallway, which I thought was a great idea. Bailey's class was at the very end so I'm sure that the hall seemed forever long to her. I hugged her and she just stood there. She seemed lost. It broke my heart, and I started to crack. Thankfully, a female (maybe a counselor) took her hand and offered to walk her to class. I cried as I watched her walk down the hall. Did I mention how hard this letting go process is? I'm a very "it is what it is" kind of person, but I've also never had a child start Kindergarten so this is all new to me. If you've walked in my shoes, then you can relate. If you haven't, then be warned.

Day Four (today): Bailey chose to be dropped off. Yay! This would be a big day for both of us. I told her that she could go straight to class, but that she could also ask any adult if she needed help. The Safety Patrol opened the door and she hopped right out. As I drove off, I didn't see her go in the building so I pulled into one of the parking spots and watched her. She stopped to ask a Safety Patrol a question and then she walked in. She made it! I made it! I cried again!


Last Sunday, a sweet friend prayed with me at church and she said "it's time to let Bailey become the person that God made her to be." I couldn't agree more. Letting go is hard. It's hard to allow others (teachers and peers) to mold her for 6.5 hours each day. It's hard watching her grow up, but it's so worth it!

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 - "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace."

No comments:

Post a Comment