My Family

My Family

Monday, August 19, 2013

No Bucket List


I decided this past weekend that I won't have a bucket list anytime soon, if ever. Had I written such a list, I guarantee you that preaching a sermon at church would not have been on it. However, that's exactly what I did this past Sunday. Since I can't rate myself, I will have to believe others when they say that I did a good job. Way to go me! Oh let's be honest, it wasn't me at all. I spent a lot of time asking for Gods guidance in preparing my sermon. I asked Him to allow me to speak a clear message with a calm, steady voice. I asked Him to let my words be His, and not my own. And, only by His power was I able to do those exact things.

As the worship songs were being played, I was getting ready. I felt as if I were preparing to play a soccer game, so I did what any athlete would do ... I swallowed a few drinks of water and I took off my shoes. Yup, I took off my high heel shoes (shown in the picture above) and I preached barefoot. I mean, if I was going to step out of my comfort zone then I might as well step out comfortably. Right?!

After the sermon, we closed with a few more worship songs, and during that time, I thanked God for allowing me this opportunity. I thanked Him for anointing (defined as: to dedicate to the service of God) me and allowing me to share some of my personal struggles that ultimately brought Him glory. Did I feel equipped for the job? No. Did I doubt my abilities? Yes.

Even Moses had his doubts - Exodus 4:10 - "Moses said to the Lord, 'Pardon your servant, Lord. I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue.' "

But God helped Moses - Exodus 4:11-12 - "The Lord said to him, 'Who gave human beings their mouths? Who makes them deaf or mute? Who gives them sight or makes them blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say.' ”

Trust me, when God is on your side, there is no chance for failure! You may not preach a sermon at your church, but you can change the world by simply talking to the people you come in contact with on a daily basis. Just trust God and allow Him to work through you...

Romans 10:14-15 - "...And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news?' "

Now go. I guarantee you that someone needs to hear your good news!

No comments:

Post a Comment